Meaty Pasta Casserole
I have been searching high and low for Low Fodmap meals that are easy and freezable. That way, either my husband can make it for us or I can make it ahead of time and store it in the freezer. You guys– there is not much out there!! So, I made this up today and I must say it was really good! Kyle had 3 servings. =)
1 1/3 cup homemade cream-soup replacement
1 lb ground beef
2 T. Low Fodmap italian seasoning (no onion or garlic powder!)
6 oz. uncooked Gluten Free pasta
1-2 cups of shredded cheese
salt & pepper to taste
- If you don’t have homemade cream-soup replacement ready in your freezer, make that first. Otherwise, pull it from the freezer and defrost it in a pool of cold water or in the microwave.
- Start boiling the water for the GF pasta. (Season water with salt)
- While waiting for the water to boil, cook meat. Use medium heat, add italian seasoning.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- When water boils, add 6 oz. GF pasta. My corn pasta says on the package that it cooks in 9 minutes. For this recipe, I take it out at 8 minutes. Drain, and rinse the pasta with cold water to stop the cooking. (I’m thinking about avoiding corn pasta for a while, though, because I’m curious if my belly will do better with Quinoa pasta or something.)
- Spread a couple tablespoons of cream-base on the bottom of a small oblong Pyrex dish. Add the GF pasta. Pour 1/2 cup of cream-base evenly over the pasta. Layer cooked ground beef on top. Add remaining cream-base. Top with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. When 15 minutes is up, turn the broiler on HIGH and broil for 4 minutes until cheese is browned.
- Let cool slightly for 5-10 minutes.