Chicken Broccoli Rice Bake
My husband really enjoys this dish I made up one day. I’m putting it on the blog so that he can reference it sometime in the next few weeks to make for us. (We have this deal: I’ll feed the baby, you feed me. =) I am thinking about making it again this week but trying it with a replacement I found for cream of chicken soup. I think it’ll be interesting to see what adding a little more moisture does to the dish. It really is good as-is, though! Hope you enjoy. (Sorry, I don’t have a picture right now)
2 Chicken breasts
1 cup uncooked basmati rice
2 cups low-fodmap chicken broth
1 bunch of broccoli
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cook rice by combining 1 cup of uncooked basmati rice and 2 cups of chicken broth in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, add lid, then reduce to (super) low. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes. (I’ll remove it from heat around 10 minutes and let it sit undisturbed on the hot electric stovetop coils until 20 minutes).
- Turn your Broiler on high. Let preheat.
- While rice is cooking, cook chicken in a skillet. Season with salt & pepper to taste. When cooked thoroughly, remove from heat, let cool slightly, cut into chunks and set aside.
- Chop broccoli into bit-sized pieces. Steam for 2-3 minutes (don’t cook it fully. It’ll cook more in the oven). Set aside.
- When rice is ready, combine rice, chicken, broccoli, salt & pepper, and half the Parmesan cheese in an oblong 8×10 pyrex dish. Top with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Place dish under the broiler until the cheese is melty and slightly browned. Let cool, Enjoy!