March 7, 2014
Basic Sauteed Broccoli
1 head of Broccoli
1-2 T. garlic-infused olive oil (or regular oil)
salt & peper to taste
- Chop broccoli
- Heat oil in a large skillet
- Add broccoli. Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Resist the urge to be like my husband, and let the broccoli brown a little bit as it cooks for a yummy caramel flavor. Don’t stir it too much. Cooks in about 4 minutes.
- When almost finished cooking, squeeze some lemon juice over the broccoli
- add some herbs (remember, no garlic, onion, or pre-packaged spice mixes!)
- Sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top, place under the broiler until browned and melty
- Browned butter and lemon sauce:
- Melt 2-3 T. of butter in a skillet on medium-low heat
- Salt to taste (unless butter is already salted)
- Watch the butter, when it starts to brown (not burn!), add lemon juice. It will sizzle.
- Cook for about 30 sec. longer and remove from heat. Pour over veggie.
- Or- Rachael Ray’s Browned Butter Sauce
- Buttered Bread Crumbs:
- Melt 1 T. salted butter in a skillet.
- Once hot, pour in some fodmap friendly bread crumbs.
- Let crumbs absorb the butter and brown a little bit.
- Mix bread crumbs with broccoli.
- (My grandma used to do this all the time but I can never seem to match her in how good she makes it taste. Let me know if you discover the secret!)
- No skillet? Add broccoli to a small Corningware casserole dish. Add 1-2 t. water. Cook on high in the microwave for 5 minutes. Donzo!