Crock Pot Stuffed Peppers
Low Fodmap Recipe Overhaul
The original recipe calls for crushed tomatoes, but any italian dish really is BEST when using your own, homemade, family Italian sauce recipe in replace of plain crushed tomatoes. I haven’t yet mastered my Grandma’s recipe without using tomato paste, but hopefully I will soon. For all you ppl who are less picky about your italian food, I think you will also enjoy the ease of this slow cooker recipe I’ve been meaning to try.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1 small onion, diced
- 1 – 2 T. diced chives or green onion greens
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 t. minced fresh parsley
2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (really, the more the merrier)
- 6 large red bell peppers, tops cut off and hollowed out
“Sauce” (The Italian in me can’t call this real sauce)
- 32 ounces (can) crushed tomatoes (use fresh or canned that has no added fodmaps)
- 2 t. minced fresh parsley
- Optional: a pinch of dried oregano, basil, thyme, and/or rosemary
- 1 t. brown sugar
- a pinch of baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup homemade low-fodmap broth
- Mix together the first 8 ingredients for the stuffing. Stuff into the peppers evenly, about 3/4 of the way full. (Discard pepper tops)
- Spray the inside of a 5 qt. slow cooker. Place stuffed peppers inside.
- Combine the first 5 ingredients of the “sauce” (if you are using your own homemade sauce, just omit all this for that.) Pour sauce over peppers, then pour broth around the sides. (If you accidentally combined the broth with the sauce, it’s not the end of the world).
- If you think the broth isn’t as salty as you’d like, you can add some salt. Remember, though, that the cooking will enhance the salt over time so don’t use too much… you can always add some more at the dinner table later
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Top with Parmesan cheese before serving.