Warm, sweet Grapefruit
This is a trick I learned a little while ago. It’s a great way to enjoy winter fruit without getting cold eating it! This treat warms me up, and grapefruit is sooo good for you!
- Halve a grapefruit (my favorite is ruby red)
- Use a knife to cut slits along the triangular membranes so that the fruit is easy to remove later
- Pour a few drops of vanilla extract on top of the grapefruit (about 1/8 – 1/4 t.)
- Sprinkle with sweetener or sugar (about 1 – 2 teaspoons depending upon how sweet the grapefruit already is)
- Put in a large ramekin or oven-proof bowl, pop under the Broiler on High for 5-8 minutes. Enjoy!
The rind will probably burn, that’s ok. Depending on how hot your broiler gets and how fast the grapefruit browns, adjust the oven time. Be careful, the ramekin will be very hot, but you’ll be surprised that the grapefruit is not that hot. Wait just a minute or two before eating if you want to eat it warm.